A lot of people are looking to find the answer to the question, What is Emergency Plan in Safety? Its the procedure and action to be taken to safely handle any unexpected sudden situation that needs an immediate action at workplace to keep workers and assets safe.
What are examples of emergency? Emergency situations Like:
- Chemical spills
- fall from height etc.
Read also our articles:
HOW TO PREPARE AN EMERGENCY PLAN?
Hazards exist everywhere. We cannot completely eliminate hazards. However, we can reduce the risk and ensure the safety of workers by implementing a safety plan.
Plans may vary for the type of hazard. Like a fire, falling objects and terrorist attacks have separate safety plans. So we will include a basic plan, that applies to all types of emergencies.
- Write down the complete procedure for a different types of emergencies. Mention all inquired actions and usage of available resources.
- Make floor plans.
- Design a map, that shows evacuation routes and emergency exits.
- List down resources that can be used during the emergency situation. Like fire extinguishers, etc.
- Train the staff regularly to execute the plan.
What is the Purpose of an Emergency Plan?
As we discussed emergency plan consist of written procedures to ensure the safety of people and assets. The basic purpose of the emergency to minimize the injuries and death during an emergency situation. It helps to minimize the losses like property damage losses etc.
There must be a responsible person to execute the plane as early as possible.
How to Execute the Plan?
An executive body is necessary to handle the emergency situation. For this purpose, authority, responsibility, and specific duties must be clearly defined. Some of the basic and important steps that must be followed during an emergency are mentioned below.
- When you identify an emergency, report it to higher authorities immediately.
- Now it’s time to activate the emergency plan.
- Establish communication.
- Alert all workers and ensure medical aid immediately.
- Make sure that all person evacuates through emergency exit
- Once a building or workplace is evacuated inform roundabouts regarding possible threats.
- Request external aid.
- Provide medical aid to injured people.
- Once the emergency situation is clear. Investigate the matter and make a strategy to improve the situation.
Some important factors need to be considered during emergency plan
Always look at the following factors during an emergency.
- Nature and severity of emergency.
- Organization size and affected area.
- Premises and other physical layouts
- Existing safety procedures and available resources of organization
- Demand for outside aid.
How to be Ready For the Emergency Situation?
As we all know, the emergency situation has no scheduled time to happen. So every one in the organization should be ready. The below tips are for getting ready for the situation.
- Every person in the organization must know his exact rule in any emergency.
- Safety signs about the plan should be used in the workplace where every one can see it.
- A detailed chart contains all phones numbers, evacuation process steps, emergency exit doors places, assemply points, and all other important details.
- Use Emergency lighting in the all offices and buildings.
- Emergency exit doors should be known to all workers. Use labels and exit lights on the exit doors.
- All emergency phone numbers should be announced, And the reporting procedures should be followed when reporting the situation.
- An emergency co-operation team should be declared and trained to help in plan execution.
- A regular unexpected drills will help workers to be ready.