Why is Safety Checklist for Childcare Centers So Important?
Safety checklist for childcare centers is the most important task in the center to provide it with the safe environment for kids.
This is because:
- Kids has no safety culture or behavior.
- Kids are so curious, this curiosity have no limits.
- Accidents in child care centers can affect children’s mental health.
- Children body is too week, and any hazard can cause them serious injuries.
- As a manager or owner of childcare center you should make safety of kids as priority number one. To keep your revenue up, as no one will let his kid go to unsafe childcare center.
That make its important for me “as a father” to give you my safety experience as a checklist for childcare centers.
Let’s discuss checklist of some important things to maintain the safety standards for your childcare center.
- Staff training and responsibilities
- Ensure kids Room Security
- Make sure Kids are Safe at Play Area
- Furnishings and Fixtures Should be suitable for kids
- Regularly Check Safety Equipment and Procedures
- Your staff Should Take Their Responsibilities out of Kids Room
- Make sure that bathroom is safe for children.
Staff Training and Responsibilities
Staff training is the most important thing that has great impacts on the safety of child care center. A slight mistake of any staff member can cause great problems with the safety.
In your staff at least one member should present all the time in the safety center who has first aid training.
Keep your eyes open and give the instructions to the staff to avoid interacting with each other and keep focus on supervising the children. Give proper instructions and training to your staff regularly.
Always maintain the staff to child ratio. It is the important thing to be consider, if the staff to child ratio is more than 1:12 then it is not a normal ratio. There will be more chances that small amount of members in staff will not take proper care of the children.
Train the staff to take the proper care of the mouth safety for young children specially. Draw the clear rule that non-food objects should be kept away from mouth.
Teach the staff to keep away those toys which are not safe for children. Also give them the proper training about proper use of toys such as playing with riding toys or toys of weapons etc.
Staff should also have training how to keep the children interaction with the class pets in right way.
Safe Children’s Rooms
Room should be safely locked so that children cannot leave the room without supervision of staff.
Take care of this thing that the room or the place where the children are kept. Don’t have the staircases. If there are staircases then make sure that they are closed. Blocking the stair cases will prevent from falling.
The room should be simple so that the supervisor can easily see all the sides of the room. Room should not have any hidden places where a child can hide out of the staffs sight.
All hazard equipment such as knives, scissors or the cleaning supplies must be kept away from the child.
Windows are secured by easy to open by adults safety window guards.
Play Area Safety Tips and Rules
- Children want to spend most of their time in the playing area. To make a good safety environment keep the playing area always clear.
- Take care of such things which can cause slips, falls or other hygiene hazards.
- Toys and other things in the room should be in good condition. They should not have peeling paint.
- Broken toys can contain sharp edges which can greatly harm the children.
- keep the toys clean and sanitize daily. It will prevent them from viruses.
- Play area should be fenced.
- Playing material should be suitable for children age.
- No sharp material, nails, bolts or other items that could cause injury.
- Keep children always under supervision.
Keep the infant area clear. Make sure that the furniture and other materials in the infant area SIDS-proof.
There should be no loose blankets, bumpers, pillows or other things that can make the infant’s breathing difficult. Keep sanitizing the furniture to protect the child from viruses.
Furnishings and Fixtures
To maintain a good safety environment for the children cleaning is necessary. Make sure all the furniture and equipment are cleaned regularly. Take complete care of the furniture.
Make sure that all the furniture is fixed properly with the wall or on the floor. Furniture is climbed by the children therefore it should be strong and fixed. If the furniture is not fixed properly it can fall on the children.
Keep the hot equipment such as kettle, hot plate or stoves out of the children reach. Children don’t know about the hot things, they may touch them which can cause serious problems or injuries.
Make sure that all the electrical outlets are out of the children reach. If they are reachable by the children then cover it with such material that a child can never open it or come in contact with electricity.
Make these things always on the priority in the safety checklist in child care.
Safety Equipment and Procedures
Always take a first-aid kit at your child safety center with a well trained member who knows the knowledge of first-aid kit. Also keep checking if anything is missing in the first-aid kit or not.
Make sure that your first aid kit should always contain:
- a thermometer
- alcohol wipes.
These are the compulsory things of the first-aid kit. Remember that your first-aid thing should never miss these items.
Keep checking your safety center for the products or the equipment that could cause safety hazard. If you discovered that thing, replace it as early as possible without wasting the time.
Also keep checking the normal working of the equipment. Make sure that safety equipment such as fire extinguishers and smoke detectors are not expired. make sure to check the smoke detectors monthly.
All staff should be aware of the emergency plan, and know exactly how to perform it safely.
Staff Training and Responsibilities Out of Room
Staff should keep their eyes open all the time and keep observing the children when they are in the playground, they also should teach the children the right and safe method of playing.
Staff should always be active to keep the children safe. When the children are coming back to the room check for the presence of all the children. Attendance is a good strategy for this task.
Keep the eyes on the heads of the children. Head counting gives the position of all the children and also gives the total number of children. Staff should look after the act of every child.
They should stop the children from wrong use of playing equipment. They should teach the children not to jump from the slip and don’t climb from the wrong side.
Bathroom should be safe for children use, for doing so the following tips are important:
- Bathroom door should not has a strong closing from the inside.
- In case of any emergency case adults should be able to open the door from the outside easily.
- Cleaning material should be kept a way of the reach of children.
- Regular cleaning of the bathroom after each use.
- Using the bathroom should be under supervision.
- At the end of the day make sure no children are still inside the bathroom.
- Make sure the bathroom has good ventilation.
- Emergency lighting inside the bathroom for any power outage.
- The floor should be dry to prevent slipping
These are the important safety tips to be considered for safety checklist for child care. If the child-care-centers take these precautions they can reduce a number of problems and it will keep the environment safe.