Kitchen safety is one of the prime concerns. Because cooking is an essential part of daily life. While cooking is a reason where anyone has a great time with their family and friends.
Most of the cooking-related activities are carried out in the kitchen. While if we look at the statistics, around 500000 food poisoning cases register every year in the UK.
Therefore, safety related to the kitchen is important and must not be underestimated. In this article, I will guide you on how to ensure kitchen safety.
It is obvious that Working in the kitchen involves hands. And if hands are dirty it can directly affect your eating materials.
Therefore, it is important to make a trend for all people children, Adults, etc. to wash their hands properly before they perform any task in the kitchen.
The concept of washing hands properly has been popularized during the current pandemic situation i.e COVID19.
All people must wash their hands properly with soap for thirty seconds. If you follow the instruction your kids will have a routine to wash hands properly will ensure kitchen safety.
The next important factor involves in kitchen safety is Fire safety. Fire is an important and hazardous element in the kitchen. Therefore, it is important to take care and make proper safety tips regarding the fire.
- Also, keep away all combustible material from flame.
- Keep proper checks and use standardized materials and equipment.
- You must also need different fire detection and extinguishing equipment to deal with the fire on time. Like you can use smoke detectors, heat sensors. So that you can have enough time in case of fire selection.
- Besides this always keep fire extinguishers in the standby position. Because most of the kitchen-related hazards are due to fire.
- All people working in the kitchen must be trained as well. They must have a complete understanding of what to do during this situation and how to operationalize fire extinguishers during emergency situations.
If you have a proper understanding of the different types of fires you can easily control fire. Like if the fire is due to a short circuit or gas, it will not work to use water.
To put out most fires the best exercise is to remove air. Similarly, If the fire is in the oven or other electric appliance, you can control it just by turning the appliance off and using general purpose fire extinguishers.
For more information we highly recommend reading our other articles:
- Fire protection system, active and passive
- How to prevent electrical fire
- How to ensure fire protection at workplace
Using Personal Protective Equipment
You can ensure kitchen safety and protect against burning by using protective equipment.
Always cover your body and especially your hands, feet, and face with different protective equipment. Your protective cloth is not only able to protect you from burns but also from accidental cuts through knives and other glass materials.
Therefore safe shoes are mandatory for the kitchen. Besides this, you can avoid these thing to ensure safety.
- Don’t wear long sleeves, Loose and synthetic clothes. Long sleeves are the main reason behind catching fire.
- If you wear synthetic clothes, there is a risk of melting and can damage your body.
- To ensure body safety we suggest wearing tops with fitted or no sleeves in the kitchen.
You can avoid burning in multiple ways in the kitchen. Like wearing protective equipment. Keeping away pans handle from fire. Next, you can use hot pads and oven mitts for your hands while using pans, Ovens, Pats, and bowls.
We also suggest not to use wet pads, as the chances of transmitting heat in the wet item are more.
Always stir away
Scalding condensation can drip on your skin and burn you when you left a lid from a pot. In this case, the condensation lays on the top. causing burns. The same is the case for stirring.Therefore, it is important to stir your body away.
Learn How to Use a Knife
The knife is an important thing to use in the kitchen. And most of the hazards are related to cutting. It is recommended to use sharp knives to avoid any cuts.
Besides this use appropriate cutting tools for cutting different materials. Because you cannot use the same knife for fruits, vegetables, and meat.
Also, follow the same procedure for cutting boards. Use a proper cutting board for each material like fruit, vegetable, and meat to ensure kitchen safety.
According to the FDA recommendations always use a separate cutting board. Means that one cutting board for meat, Seafood and poultry. While using another cutting board for fruits and Vegetables.
If you have only one cutting board. Then we recommend cutting vegetables and fruits first. Then thoroughly clean the board with soap and hot water. And use for meat next. The process is also referred to as preventing cross-contamination.
The next important factor related to kitchen safety is storing food in proper ways. While freezing food in the refrigerator, it is recommended to store them in the temperature range of 0 to 5ºC.
Use separate spaces for meat and fruits or vegetables. Make sure there is enough space between different materials so that air can easily travel, and ventilation occurs perfectly.
It is worth mentioning to keep young kids updated, how to use and store food.
Educating Young Kids
Although adults have enough understanding of how to use kitchen. However, young kids are not aware of anything.
Therefore, it is important to teach your kids and train them regarding kitchen safety. Educate your young children if they are planning to cook their first dinner.
Besides this, if they are working in the kitchen, continuously supervise them and have a constant check on them.
Instruct your children. Not to use metals, aluminum or plastic utensils in the micro oven. Not to add water in hot oil. Because it may cause a serious burn.
Besides this, you can instruct them about food poisoning and other kitchen safety related tips.
Limit Chance of Slip, Trips, and Fall
Wet floors and uncleaned spaces are the main sources of slip, trips, and fall. If kitchen floors are wet, oily or greased, We recommend immediately spill it. And remove water, oil from the floor immediately.
Further remove any vegetable, or any other waste immediately to keep the environment clean and fresh. Because waste has a bad smell in the kitchen or in a roundabout environment. Besides keep your oven, utensils clean.
Availability of First Aid
No place is completely safe from hazards. Therefore it is important to make proper arrangements for any unplanned situations.
While the kitchen is an important space in any residential apartment, and no apartment is considered complete without a kitchen. Therefore, kitchen safety has enough importance.
Any mishap can cause serious damage to people and apartments. In any case of emergency ensure the availability of a first aid kit in the kitchen.
Kitchen Safety Conclusion
If you don’t have enough time to read the whole article. You can follow these instructions. In this paragraph, we summarize all do’s and Don’ts regarding kitchen safety.
- Wash your hands properly.
- Before cooking or eating, rinse all fruits and vegetables.
- Use a separate cutting board for meat, fruits, and vegetables.
- Use proper storage and follow specific temperature ranges.
- Use short sleeves, protective clothes, and protective shoes.
- Keep away small children away from stoves and fire.
- Use knives safely and always use sharp knives.
- Use hot pads to avoid burning.
- Turn off electrical appliances, if not in use.
- Avoid fire hazards, install smoke detectors and properly install fire extinguishers.
- Educate your children and always take care while working in the kitchen to ensure kitchen safety.
- Keep electrical appliances in a good dry condition.
What is PPE?
Personal protective equipment, also referred to as PPE, is equipment to reduce exposure to workplace hazards that could cause serious injuries and fatal incidents. These hazards may be electrical hazard, chemical, mechanical energy, fall hazard or radiological hazards.
Personal protective equipment example
PPE may include items for different jobs i.e PPE for electricians and workers are not the same as welding workers. This difference between jobs requirements of protective equipment is so logic as the hazards that electricians face are not the same hazards that welders face. Hereunder protective equipment examples.
- Gloves are used for hand protection against chemical, electrical and mechanical hazards. Always choose the right gloves for the job. Not all gloves are suitable for all jobs. For example electrical work needs isolated gloves with max. voltage suitable for the voltage of the power system.
- Face guard. We always pay attention to eye protection by wearing goggles, This is for eye protection against splashes, flying particles and flash hazards at workplace. For more safety and protection face guard or face shield is used. Face guards provide a higher protection level than goggles. Always use face shield with goggles to adequately protect an employee from flying parts or objects, and large particles.
- Glasses. Are the main eye protector in workplace. As mentioned above goggles are always used even with face shield.
- Safety boots or shoes. These are a special type of shoes which are designed to protect your feet against heavy loads hazards. Also safety shoes are anti slip and electricity isolation too. They provide additional safety when working in electrical jobs as they makes your resistance to ground higher.
- Safety vest. High visibility safety vests are required in workplace where are vehicles,cars and heavy tractors hazard, workers must be seen. There are many of roadside distractions in workplace, these distractions can make it hard for drivers to even notice that you are there. Reflective safety vests helps well specially at night shift of work and at dusty days when visibility is poor. Here the vest grabs the driver’s attention and focus
- Coverall clothing. Are a one piece protective clothing for heavy manual work at workplace and workshops. Some industries use the coverall to protect workers against heat, fire, chemicals or water.
- Safety harness are a protection personal protective against fall from heights. By wearing the harness you are able to attach themselves to a stationary object, In case of fall the harness prevent you and safe you.
- Hard hat is the basic PPE for head protection.
When I was fresh graduated and joined my first industrial job I asked my self why should I wear this hard hat? While I’m in the location of work there were metal pipelines over my head and suddenly I hit a pipeline with my hard hat. I realized the importance of wearing protective equipment.
- Earplugs or muffs are so important for those who are working with high sound equipment and places. They are made of sound-attenuating material.
- Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE) is that type of Protective Equipment used to protect against the workplace air hazardous substances.
- Waterproof hood for outdoor working in rainy places and for workers.
- Zero hood face warmer is necessary at cold workplaces to warm the face.
Why to use PPE?
Protective equipment are designed to be the first defense line against hazards and human mistakes in workplace. So its important to wear proper equipment for the job you are involved in.
Poorly fitting items are not expected to provide the proper protection. Even if you don’t feel very comfort never put your self at risk. Always wear your items. Using proper and well fitting items keeps you protected.
Additional tips for